Koyomi Mizuhara (水原 暦 Mizuhara Koyomi), usually known as Yomi, is a character from Azumanga Daioh.
Her name was left unknown until the second volume, in which Azuma dedicated an entire strip to her in response to readers asking for her name. Her name is a pun, and alternately means read between the lines, in reference to her name being left "between the lines" until the strip in question.
Yomi is a grade-school friend and general antagonist of Tomo's. She is also the voice of reason, and the most mature and serious of her friends—and as such, the comic foil to the others' silliness. Yomi, if pushed enough by Tomo, will even give her an uppercut that leaves Tomo unconscious on the floor. While Yomi likes to think that she's above her classmates' childish behavior, she can be just as bad as they are. For example, to pass her college entrance exams, she asked Chiyo to infuse an amulet with her intelligence (as Tomo and Osaka had done before). Yomi also has a rather evil sense of humour, shown when she took part in teasing Osaka when she had the hiccups (after causing them in the first place by feeding her something too spicy for Osaka to handle on purpose). It is suggested that she is much like her physical education teacher, Minamo Kurosawa, much as Tomo is similar to their homeroom teacher, Yukari Tanizaki.
Yomi is both smart and athletic: her grades are second only to Chiyo-chan's, and while she isn't as good as Sakaki or Kagura at sports, she holds her own. Despite appearing healthy and fit, Yomi is dissatisfied with her weight and struggles with her fondness for food, particularly sweets and spicy dishes. She is constantly trying new diets, and sometimes anonymously writes to radio talk hosts for advice or with updates on her progress, which amuses Tomo. She is also a terrible singer, as shown when the girls sing karaoke one Christmas (ironically, her seiyū, Rie Tanaka, is known for her beautiful singing voice). It was also revealed in Azumanga Daioh: Supplementary lessons that Yomi hates cicadas.
Despite her academic abilities, Yomi was the last of the friends to pass a university entrance exam.
She is the last of the cast to have her name revealed in the manga: while the rest are listed in the first manga volume, Yomi's was revealed in volume 2 during the March part 1 chapter. In fact, an entire strip was devoted to this entire purpose.
Similarities between Yomi and MinamoEdit
- Both have a childish friend who they have known for a long time (Tomo for Yomi, Yukari for Minamo)
- Both are shown to be responsible, though occasionally act childish or silly
- They each have something a friend enjoys teasing them about (Tomo about Yomi's fondness for food and her diets, Yukari about the fact Minamo is a PE teacher)
- They're sensitive about their love lives (only shown once with Yomi, when Osaka pointed out to her and Tomo that neither of them has a boyfriend, whereas with Minamo Yukari brings it up to embarrass her)
- She's 163cm tall.
- In the manga, Yomi's name was reavealed in the 2nd volume while in the Anime it was revealed in the first episode.
- In episode 17, when Koyomi sings, she is shown (or rather heard) singing lines from one of Chiyo's Character Songs: Sara_Hai!_Happi_Hen